Applications for the PhD Program are due on February 1st, in order to begin the program in the fall semster of the same year. Applications for the MA Program are due March 15th, in order to begin the program in the fall semester of the same year. If you would like to submit your MA application for the opportunity of early acceptance by Feb 15th, please apply by February 1st. The department will consider late applications. For general questions regarding the application process, please contact the Director of Graduate Studies.
Application Materials to be directed to the UA Graduate College
- Application Fee of $75.00 by check, money order, or credit card to be paid during registration
- Complete the online application form here
Application Materials to be directed to the Department of German Studies
Please send or email the material(s) listed below directly to the Department of German Studies (see contact address below).
- Official transcripts showing an overall undergraduate GPA of 3.0 or higher, and with a GPA in German courses of 3.5 or higher (International Students: Please include documentation in the form of all available grade reports.)
- 3 academic letters of recommendation
- Statement of purpose in German (approx. 1-2 pages), outlining your interests and what you hope to achieve during your graduate studies
- 3-5 minute audio recording in German (MP3 or CD) including a short personal narrative and/or a reading of a literary text. (Native German speakers are not required to submit an audio recording.)
- Curriculum vitae, comprehensive résumé, or Lebenslauf
- For PhD program applicants only: Academic Writing Sample (15-25 pages) either in German or English
Financial Assistance and Fellowships are listed under Graduate Funding & Scholarships.
Additional Materials Required for International Students
(If you are neither a US citizen nor a permanent US resident at the time of application, you will be considered an international student. In addition to the application fee for the university, you will also need to pay the application and processing fee for your visa to the appropriate institutions.)
- Financial Guarantee International student will require a visa document for which they require a financial guarantee statement
- TOEFL score at or above 550 (PB), 213 (CB), or 79 (iBT) for international students
For all materials to be sent directly to the Department of German Studies, please use the following address:
Director of Graduate Studies
Department of German Studies
301 Learning Services Building, University of Arizona
Tucson, AZ 85721 / USA
or email them to the Director of Graduate Studies.