Applications for the PhD Program are due January 15th in order to begin the program in the following fall semster. For the MA Program, first-round applications are due on January 15th, in order to begin the program in the following fall. A second round of applications may be accepted on March 15, also for fall admission. The department will consider late applications.
Application Materials to be directed to the UA Graduate College (What is that?)
- Application Fee of $75 by check, money order, or credit card to be paid during registration
- Complete the online application form here
Application Materials to be directed to the Department of German Studies
- Official transcripts showing an overall undergraduate GPA of 3.0 or higher, and with a GPA in German courses of 3.5 or higher (International Students: Please include documentation in the form of all available grade reports.)
- 3 academic letters of recommendation
- Statement of purpose in German (approx. 1-2 pages), outlining your interests and what you hope to achieve during your graduate studies
- 3-5 minute audio recording in German (MP3 or CD) including a short personal narrative and/or a reading of a literary text. (Native German speakers are not required to submit an audio recording.)
- Curriculum vitae, comprehensive résumé, or Lebenslauf
- For PhD program applicants only: academic writing sample (15-25 pages) either in German or English
Additional Materials for International Students
If you are neither a US citizen nor a permanent US resident at the time of application, you will be considered an international student. In addition to the application fee for the university, you will also need to pay the application and processing fee for your visa to the appropriate institutions.
All materials to be sent directly to the Department of German Studies should be emailed to the Director of Graduate Studies or mailed to the address below. The Director of Graduate Studies might reach out with a request for a conversation via video or phone call after the application materials have been received.
Director of Graduate Studies
Department of German Studies
University of Arizona
301 Learning Services Building
Tucson, AZ 85721