Applications for the PhD Program are due January 15 in order to begin the program in the following fall semster. For the MA Program, first-round applications are due on January 15, in order to begin the program in the following fall. A second round of applications may be accepted on March 15, also for fall admission. The department will consider late applications.
Application Materials to be directed to the UA Graduate College (What is that?)
- Application Fee of $85 by check, money order, or credit card to be paid during registration
- Complete the online application form
Application Materials to be directed to the Department of German Studies (added to the above application form)
- Official transcripts showing an overall undergraduate GPA of 3.0 or higher, and with a GPA in German courses of 3.5 or higher (international students should include documentation in the form of all available grade reports)
- 3 academic letters of recommendation
- Statement of purpose in German (approx. 1-2 double-spaced pages), outlining your interests and/or experiences in the areas research and teaching and what you hope to achieve during your graduate studies
- 3-5 minute audio recording in German, including a short personal narrative and/or a reading of a favorite text (speakers of German as their first language are not required to submit an audio recording)
- Curriculum vitae, comprehensive resume, or Lebenslauf
- Graduate Assistantship application form (What is that?)
- For PhD program applicants only: academic writing sample (15-25 double-spaced pages) either in German or English
Additional Materials for International Students
If you are neither a US citizen nor a permanent US resident at the time of application, you will be considered an international student. In addition to the application fee for the university, you will also need to pay the application and processing fee for your visa to the appropriate institutions.
- Financial Guarantee for visa
- TOEFL score at or above 550 (PB), 213 (CB), or 79 (iBT) (see here for other options and exemptions by country)
The Director of Graduate Studies is available for questions throughout the process and might reach out with a request for a conversation via video or phone call after the application materials have been received.